As a leading expert of Endodontics in Midvale, UT, Dr. Thomas Dickson saves teeth and relieves facial pain that a general dentist cannot. Endodontic care is a type of dentistry that is mainly concerned with treating disorders involving tooth pulp and its supporting structures. Most often, patients that require endodontic care have obstructed root canals or some other unusual tooth anatomy.
How does endodontic care work?
- Enamel – Tooth enamel is the outermost layer of the tooth. It is made from a hard, mineral rich material and functions to protect the rest of the tooth. Its density varies from person to person, but is usually around 2mm thick.
- Dentin – This underlying layer is necessary to support the enamel structure. Because tooth enamel is translucent, dentin is responsible for determining the color of your teeth.
- Pulp – This is the innermost layer of the tooth that is composed mostly of soft tissue. The pulp is important because it contains many vital blood vessels and connective tissues that distribute nutrients during the tooth’s development stage. Afterward, the pulp is not a necessary component. Endodontic care is required when the pulp becomes damaged or infected and needs removal.
Endodontics in Midvale, UT
As an expert provider of endodontic care, Dr. Dickson uses the latest and most advanced treatment tools available. When you visit our office, you can be sure you are receiving the highest quality treatment available. Our services remain unmatched and are as comfortable as possible. Getting a root canal with us is comparable to getting a filling anywhere else! If you are in need of endodontic care in Midvale, UT, contact Dr. Dickson and schedule your consultation today!
The cost of a root canal will vary depending on where it takes place. To get an exact quote, you will need to contact Dr. Thomas Dickson to discuss root canal cost in Salt Lake City, UT. A root canal is a procedure that treats the infected pulp inside a tooth. These infections are considered very serious and should be treated right away or they will cause serious pain. Patients should contact Dr. Thomas Dickson and schedule a root canal consultation as soon as possible. Without treatment, the infection will grow and possibly spread to the brain.
How does a root canal work?
When you come in for your root canal consultation, Dr. Dickson will discuss with you the different tools that are used as well as the specific steps involved in the procedure. A root canal generally consists of three different steps:
- First we remove the infected pulp from inside the tooth
- Then we clean and shape the tooth canal before sealing the roots. In some cases, this may require two separate office visits.
- Finally, once the treatment is finished and the healing is complete, we will place a prosthetic crown over the tooth for protection and to enable functionality.
Are root canals painful?
During your root canal consultation, the option of anesthetics will be discussed. While this usually makes the procedure relatively comfortable, there may be some sensitivity or soreness for a few days after. However, this soreness can usually be alleviated with over-the-counter pain medication. It is also common for teeth that have had root canals to feel different than other teeth. Any lasting pain or pressure is unusual and should be examined immediately.
How much do root canals cost?
The cost of your root canal will vary depending on a few different factors. To get a specific quote on your root canal cost in Salt Lake City, UT, you can contact Dr. Dickson and schedule a root canal consultation today!
Although root canal symptoms are not always prominent in patients requiring Endodontics in Midvale, UT, you should still be on the lookout. Symptoms will usually show themselves in different ways, depending on the patient. Although they may be less severe in one person than another, this does not mean treatment should be postponed. Tooth decay in adults can have serious consequences if it is not addressed immediately. Patients in need of a root canal should visit endodontics expert, Dr. Thomas Dickson as soon as possible.
Symptoms of Tooth Decay in Adults
Although root canal symptoms may not always seem urgent, they should be addressed immediately. Without proper treatment, the condition will only worsen until aggressive treatment is necessary. If you are experiencing one or more of the following symptoms, contact Dr. Dickson right away:
- Increased tooth sensitivity – One of the most common symptoms of tooth decay in adults is sensitivity to extreme temperatures. Pain that results from hot or cold foods often indicates that the tooth pulp has become infected.
- Pain when biting or chewing food – When tooth pulp is infected or inflamed, it becomes more sensitive to pressure that is placed upon it. Chewing or biting into food will often cause pain or swelling.
- Tooth pain during the night – Another sign of tooth decay in adults is nocturnal pain that may wake you from sleep. This often occurs when the inflamed pulp is agitated by tooth grinding in the night.
- Traveling tooth pain – Tooth decay in adults often results in pain that travels from your tooth to another area of your head, such as the neck, jaw, or ear. If you experience this, you should seek treatment right away.
Treating Tooth Decay in Adults
Dr. Dickson is a leading expert of endodontics in Midvale, UT. If you experience any of the above symptoms, please contact our offices as soon as possible. We will do our best to make your treatment as comfortable and convenient as possible!
Dr. Thomas R. Dickson and Dr. Lester W. Cannon, general dentists in Midvale, Utah, treat patients from Midvale, UT; Millcreek, UT; and Sandy, UT as well as the surrounding areas. Dr. Dickson and Dr. Cannon provide advanced dental treatments including the LANAP Laser Treatment for gum disease, dental implants, All-on-4, root canals, sedation, and orthodontics. Call (801) 784-1999 to schedule your appointment or click here to request an appointment online.