Creekstone Dental

Question of the day: “My gums receded and I hate the way it looks and feels. Can you fix this?

Most of the time, we can re-postion gums that have receded.   It’s surgical procedure called a gingival graft, and there are two types:  First–we can slide the gum back into place if you have enough of the necessary tissue [called attached tissue].   Second, we can regrow  more attached tissue if needed  by removing skin  from the roof of your mouth [or palate–which becomes new attached tissue],  and then  suturing the area back together [the video below shows the second  type of repair].   The first surgery–or sliding repair is generally an easier recovery, but often can’t be used due to lack of attached tissue.  This important difference in surgery makes the diagnosis of the problem  and treatment planning very important.

Leave a Comment