If the skin over your lower anterior teeth is receding, the cause is usually one of two things: First, a muscle in the midline connecting the lips to your gums. This muscle pulling causes the skin to ‘slide’ little off your gums. Second, the thickness of your gums could be too thin [called a thin biotype] and this causes the gums to recede with time–and unless this is treated recession will get worse. How is it treated with gum graft? Here’s a video demonstration of one surgical alternative, called a free gingival graft which is done when the gingival tissue to too thin to perform a ‘pin-hole’ type graft. There are other surgical alternatives, including the sliding coverage graft, sub-epithelial free gingival grafts and pin-hole grafting–which are not shown here [stay tuned for further installments].
- The Bacteria in your mouth causing gun disease may be linked to cancer in your esophagus–which is something you do not want. Ever.
- Breast Cancer Linked to Periodontal Disease. This is important information, especially for smokers.
- Here is a short video of replacing three teeth with dental implants.
- A Common periodontal pathogen may interfere with conception in women. The picture of reproductive difficulties and periodontal disease in women is starting to become clearer.
- Retainers should be worn for LIFE to stop straightened teeth going wonky again, dentists warn. [Dr. D has been saying this daily for 24 years.]